No access to the net

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Idolm, Feb 25, 2024.

1. Idolm

Idolm

Hello all,
    Thank you for allowing me to join. I haven’t had a PC running XP since , W7 . But one does miss the XP days
    Recently I purchased a PC from 2004 , running XP .
    After replacing the CMOS all works well, almost
    I’m using the supplied IE to access the net.
    I have set Google had the home page. When I type eBay for example , various hits are displayed. When one is selected , the message informing you have no internet connection appears.
    I’m ware it’s a 24 year old O/S , but any tips to address would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    PS, I installed a version of Firefox from this time, still have the same problem, so I guess it’s not software , plus a pinged the BBC

Attached Files:

Idolm, Feb 25, 2024
  2. Idolm

ClippyBeer

You have internet access because Google works. You need updated browser to access the internet with XP.

MyPal 68:

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/releases

360Chrome:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/185049-arcticfoxienotheretoplaygames-360chrome-v1352044-rebuild-2/

You won't be able to download them with XP - you'll have to use another computer then copy them to your XP PC.

I hope you're not one of those users that joins only to have a question answered and never post again. I tend to ignore new users for this reason.

ClippyBeer, Feb 25, 2024
    xperceniol and j896 like this.
  3. Idolm

Idolm

Thank you for the reply and help, much appreciated. I will follow your advice .

And no, Im not one of those users that joins only to have a question answered and never post again

Idolm, Feb 25, 2024
    xperceniol likes this.
  4. Idolm

tekkaman

With those browsers ClippyBeer mentioned you should be able to access most websites.

tekkaman, Feb 26, 2024
    xperceniol likes this.
  5. Idolm

Idolm

Hi, thank you for the support.
    I downloaded the browsers, sadly I was unable to locate an install folder. There were various files, but none were an application.
    I have not installed any of the service packs, due to conflicts with the Sony media software. I'm assuming this is the reason ?

Idolm, Feb 27, 2024
  6. Idolm

tekkaman

I'll give you an example with Mypal. When you go here: https://www.mypal-browser.org/download.html
    You can download Mypal browser. You have to extract the files to run it. You can use 7zip or winrar to do so. Then double click the racoon icon and it should launch.

tekkaman, Feb 28, 2024
    xperceniol and j896 like this.
  7. Idolm

ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer, Feb 28, 2024
    xperceniol likes this.
  8. Idolm

Idolm

Hello, I followed your advice , this message appears
    Thank you

Attached Files:

Idolm, Mar 2, 2024
  9. Idolm

tekkaman

That message appears when a software is not compatible with your Windows version. To be honest I haven't encountered a software for XP that would work in XP without service pack but wouldn't work on XP with a service pack. After some time many softwares requires at least Service Pack 2 to work. Maybe there's something else that prevents that Sony software from working with a Service Pack.

tekkaman, Mar 4, 2024
  10. Idolm

xperceniol

I hope you have better luck with 360 Chrome, then.

xperceniol, Mar 5, 2024
Ask a Question