Need to upgrade pc but want to keep XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by DarryljustDarryl, Sep 17, 2023.

1. DarryljustDarryl

DarryljustDarryl

SO.. I'm new here.. Hello everyone and thanks for having me. I will get right to it. I am a die hard XP Pro person out of necessity. I run an old version of solidworks (2007) and use it a lot. The newer versions are very expensive . I have a very old lap top ( Dell Inspirion 1300) that I run a legit XP OS but it is starting to give me problems and I'm afraid that its going to crash on me soon.
    PROBLEM: can I purchase a newer PC with windows 10 on it and install my XP on it. I don't ever have this laptop on the internet and the only thing I use it for is for running Solidworks. Thanks in advance... DD

DarryljustDarryl, Sep 17, 2023
  2. DarryljustDarryl

Borg

Forget it. The only chance is to get some good used laptop that will have drivers for XP.
    Anything new will not work.

I personally have old DELL E5420 laptop and it works fine. Win2003 there :)

Maybe there is more luck with used desktops.

Borg, Sep 17, 2023
    DarryljustDarryl likes this.
  3. DarryljustDarryl

DarryljustDarryl

Thank you Borg, That's about where I'm at as well. I've seen a number of refurbished XP machines out there so off I go.. Cheers

4. DarryljustDarryl

DarryljustDarryl

I have a HP touch smart all in 1 that came out with Vista. Any Idea if that's compatible with XP ?

5. DarryljustDarryl

Borg

Just go to HP support page and try to download drivers for WinXP.
    If you will get all of them (Audio, Gfx, Chipset, NIC) then there is pretty good chance it will work.

Borg, Sep 18, 2023
  6. DarryljustDarryl

Madeleine Takam

Alternatively =

https://gozofinder.com/cse/ulozto/en?query=solidworks+2016

I must admit I love AutoCad 2004 for its speed and simplicity, then I had to bite the bullet and go for 2012…and then again.

I always liked Revit 2013 and then I had to bite the bullet….

Don’t get me started on Microstation.

Problem is big software companies are thieves and force one to upgrade, especially when procuring files for production on CNC or 3D printers, or publishing in pdf.

One has no recourse to law, as the only laws are for the rich.

One should take any opportunity for justice.

Madeleine Takam, Sep 18, 2023
  7. DarryljustDarryl

tekkaman

Have you tried to run Solidworks2007 on newer OS? Maybe it does work with compatibility mode or something

tekkaman, Sep 18, 2023
  8. DarryljustDarryl

CX380

Hi there, lovely to be here, wonderful memories of Windows XP but unfortunately the last time to operate a Windows XP Computer was sometime during April 2021. That computer used to belong to a late friend and for many years used like to help him out on doing things on the computer for him.

So, it was a lovely computer to have enjoyed that but even though it was in good condition have to dispose of it. Nope, sadly can't keep and this what happens someone dies to leave behind his cat.

So, you want Windows XP installed as dual boot with Windows 10 but Windows XP doesn't have the drivers nor to have the support that can run on newly purchased computer.

This another thing, many software applications no longer to support Windows XP including Google Chrome.

Check out: https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-install-the-latest-version-of-Chrome-on-Windows-XP

Nope, unfortunately for Google no longer have it available to download for a computer to run Windows XP.

So, did have the downloaded files for Windows XP but files are now mostly kept for that OS.

But have you ever used and to operate Windows 7 as it was very good and if you have a disc for your old computer but like Windows XP no longer supported by Microsoft to get security updates anymore.

You can keep Windows XP as long as you like and like my late friend's computer as there was no Internet.

Nope, there were no problems even though only to connect with a printer and scanner in my late friend's home.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    CX380, Sep 24, 2023
  9. DarryljustDarryl

stonepark

Why you just don't buy a second hand "old" computer ? A computer perfectly compatible with XP.
    I bought an I5 third generation. Add 32 GB of memory. For less than 50 euros - 50 dollars.
    And it's largely, largely powerful enough for most of my uses.

stonepark, Oct 23, 2023
  10. DarryljustDarryl

Samir

If the Insipiron 1300 has been good to you, just get another one. No one makes solid laptops like that any more and you can always upgrade your second one with more ram and an ide-cf adapter for an 'ide ssd' (if it doesn't have sata). I have a 1300 myself and it's a great little xp machine. Too bad my battery doesn't last an hour anymore like it did when my friend sent it to me. Mine looks nearly brand new for a machine this old.

Samir, Nov 17, 2023
Ask a Question