My Monitor Died

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by cornemuse, Nov 6, 2023.

1. cornemuse

cornemuse

My old Samsung 27" monitor died 2 days ago. XP started acting wierdly, up/down/r/l & scroll bar stopped working via using the mouse, then just the opposite! Getting nervous now! Turned off then on again, Desktop flashed on for an instant, then black screen over & over & over! Connected to my newer Acer 27", works fine now. Tried swapping power supply, not that, definitly the monitor.
    Which brings up this post.
    I went to Costco© to see about getting a new monitor. They have a 27" curved samsung, but I didnt want to spend that much $$
    Then the guy working there got their 'holiday discount catalog/flyer & it had the "same as what I am staring at right now" monitor, (costco # 1744831) Acer 27", $99.99 after $50.00 off. one hundred bucks for a decent screen! I bought two!! On-line only, if you have costco card or a friend with one. Deal ends Nov 27th, I think.

Another thing, I have periodically searched for two mobo's, mainly on ebay. Found one at least 15 yrs old, but it was BRAND NEW!! inc. pristene disk/manual/cables/rear plate/original box/sealed mobo, SCORE!!

FWIW: If you want a particular mobo, Do NOT give up searching!

cornemuse, Nov 6, 2023
    TMTGTR and Elizabeth23 like this.
  2. cornemuse

tekkaman

When my AM3+ motherboard died I searched a very long time on ebay for a replacement. I found one that was used but it had the manual at least. And it looked brand new. Since it was the same brand as the one I had before I was able to use the same driver CD of the dead motherboard as it was a very similar motherboard. Same chipset and everything. Only difference is that the replacement supported higher watt cpu.

tekkaman, Nov 7, 2023
  3. cornemuse

TMTGTR

Glad to hear it Cornemuse :) (The MoBo Not the monitor) Though I'll take a dead monitor over dead computer any day!

TMTGTR, Nov 8, 2023
  4. cornemuse

cornemuse

Mobos showed up 2 days! Took at least 2 hours to remove sammy & replace with the acer, I have so much junk/trash in the room, including my desk!
    But, its up & running!

cornemuse, Nov 8, 2023
  5. cornemuse

cornemuse

Turns out the monitor only lost its hdmi input, the vga still works. And the power supply is bad. As I use hdmi, I still needed a new monitor anyway

cornemuse, Nov 11, 2023
  6. cornemuse

Samir

Best deals I find on monitors is the CDW outlet--nothing like a open box new monitor for <$45 shipped. ;)

Samir, Nov 17, 2023
Ask a Question