MPC-HC ported for XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by saphta, Nov 8, 2023.

1. saphta

saphta

Hi guys,

Currently running MPC-HC.1.7.13.32 but can't download any subtitles. I googled for a newer version backported for XP and couldn't find any.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
    saphta, Nov 8, 2023
  2. saphta

tekkaman

I didn't know MPC-HC could download subtitles. I just get them manually from opensubtitles and rename them with the same name as the movie file and it works.

tekkaman, Nov 8, 2023
  3. saphta

saphta

Subtitles are one of the reasons. Newer codecs are the most important reason. There are movies I can't play on the latest XP build but can on latest builds that run on 7 and above.

saphta, Nov 8, 2023
  4. saphta

TMTGTR

TMTGTR, Nov 8, 2023
    Samir, tekkaman and ClippyBeer like this.
  5. saphta

tekkaman

I second that. PotPlayer plays almost anything you throw at it. And if your PC is old but has a good videocard it supports DXVA in some videos. I used that a lot, years ago when I had a Pentium 4 Extreme. It was paired with an AGP card. The Ati HD4670. With that I could play 1080p videos no problem.

tekkaman, Nov 9, 2023
    Samir likes this.
  6. saphta

ClippyBeer

+1 for Potplayer.

It my main media player on all my Windows computers from XP & up. I've always manually downloaded my subtitles too.

ClippyBeer, Nov 9, 2023
    Samir likes this.
  7. saphta

Elizabeth23

just curious, I have never downloaded a subtitle, do you watch a lot of movies in a foreign language??

Elizabeth23, Nov 11, 2023
  8. saphta

saphta

yes I do. I hate dubbed ones, like to hear the original spoken language and I use english subtitles.

saphta, Nov 11, 2023
  9. saphta

tekkaman

When you watch very new anime that hasn't or won't be released in the US, sometimes you have to download subtitles from fansubbers.

I also download subtitles for English videos anyway because English isn't my main language and sometimes I can't catch what is being said if it's too fast. Some DVD movies don't have any subtitles that's when people like me have to get them elsewhere.

Playing a movie or video with a downloaded subtitle is very easy. All you have to do is make sure the movie and the subtitle both have the same filename and the player will pick them up.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
    tekkaman, Nov 11, 2023
    Samir and Elizabeth23 like this.
  10. saphta

Hunter2021

You can try SMPlayer, it supports 3D anaglyph viewing for 3D SBS movies! SMPlayer currently works on all versions of Windows (XP/7/8.1/10/11). The bad thing is, I remember getting some nasty malware after running it. Could be SMPlayer or another program's fault. It's best to use SMPlayer on an isolated HDD/SDD not your main so any malware will not affect your productivity and compromise your personal data...

Hunter2021, Nov 15, 2023
  11. saphta

tekkaman

I actually use SMPlayer a lot on Linux. I didn't know they had a Windows version or that it came with malware. Usually those are included in the installer but if you use the portable version is usually malware free. Anyways on Linux it's the closest thing that you can get that has similar options that PotPlayer has. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't support DVD Menus. So on Linux I use VLC only for DVDs. so that I can have the menus.

tekkaman, Nov 16, 2023
  12. saphta

Hunter2021

Aw, com'on I have Dragonnest 1st 3D SBS movie and I can only watch it in 3D anaglyph with SMPlayer...

Hunter2021, Nov 16, 2023
  13. saphta

cleverscreenname

MPC-HC.1.7.13 is indeed the last version for XP, and there's MPC-HC.1.7.13 x64 for XP64, I use them and like them. I didn't know they download subtitles, haha. I bet the reason it won't download is because Internet Explorer can't connect to any? websites anymore, because of outdated security certificates (XP doesn't support ECC elliptical curve cryptography at all) and lack of TLS 1.4 (and 1.3, 1.2, 1.1)

UXP browsers (Mozilla family) have all this built-into the browser, bypassing Microsoft's libraries. Chinese companies have also gotten their Chrome varients to work again on XP, like 360EE.

cleverscreenname, Dec 3, 2023
Ask a Question