More security software that support XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Janice, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Janice

Janice

https://www.wisevector.com/en/

I know a few people who use this. They say it is very good and is very light on the system. Not for those who dislike things from China though.

Janice, Jan 13, 2021
  2. Janice

Doku FREENET

Thanks, but no:

1) The malicious program will be uploaded automatically when triggering WiseVector StopX Advanced Detection.

2) The log of Advanced Detection will be uploaded automatically.

When uploading, we will know the file locations and your IP address. The file locations can make us to know what system folder the files belong to, if they belong to a system folder, they are malware probably. The file locations can help us to reproduce the environment to test as well. Your IP address can make us to know the GEO position of the files. If false positives or false negatives are from one position frequently, we will know how to improve WiseVector StopX targetedly.

I woud accept it, if this data woud not be stored on a Chinese server

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Doku FREENET, Mar 9, 2021
  3. Janice

flavallee Guest

There are almost no up-to-date security apps left that work in Windows XP SP3.
    I have also seen that same problem in Windows Vista SP2.

flavallee, Mar 9, 2021
  4. Janice

Doku FREENET

I installed Avast on SP3

Doku FREENET, Mar 9, 2021
  5. Janice

cornemuse

cornemuse, Mar 9, 2021
  6. Janice

Samir

The ultimate security solution for xp was developed by Microsoft themselves--the Steadystate add-on.

This allowed you to completely lock down xp so that it boots into a virtual state like a virtual machine and all changes are lost upon reboot. It is actually the origin of MS's virtualization and xp embedded products.

Since most of us aren't always installing new stuff on our xp installs and just want them to work day-in, and day-out like they have for over a decade, this add-on suits our use-case very well. :)

Samir, Apr 1, 2021
  7. Janice

hake

I recommend Panda Dome free 20.02.01 (latest version), Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit 1.13.1.345 (latest version), OSArmor 1.4.3, Comodo Memory Firewall (aka Comodo Memory Guardian) 2.0.4.20.

Comodo Memory Guardian does the following:-
    • Detection of Buffer Overflows which occur in the STACK memory,
    • Detection of Buffer Overflows which occur in the HEAP memory,
    • Detection of ret2libc attacks,
    • Detection of corrupted/bad SEH Chains.
    All the above run under Windows XP SP3 using an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ pre-SSE2 processor.

In Windows XP, I have a little script which runs at startup to delete Panda Dome .tmp files from C:\Windows\Temp.

The only decent web browser that I know runs on my pre-SSE2 powered Windows XP is Firefox ESR 45.9. It passes the BrowserAudit test with flying colours.

hake, Apr 22, 2021
  8. Janice

Janice

Janice, Apr 25, 2021
  9. Janice

Elizabeth23

I installed wisevector, the first scan took 12 hours, the second started at 2 hours before I finally canceled it and will go back to 360 total security, sure they have popup ads, but their scans are fast, I can schedule them for a certain time daily and best of all they will scan a flash drive before you can open it, as flash drives are the most potent source of transferring malware and virus' this is a big plus.

so much for wise vector :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 27, 2021
  10. Janice

cornemuse

I recieved this a few days ago from 360:

360 totsec II.jpg

Anybody get this??
    Is the upgrade free??

-corne-

cornemuse, Apr 27, 2021
  11. Janice

Elizabeth23

yes, I meant to post this but forgot, evidently total secure essentials has been dropped from support, first one engine was lost and then the last one as both avira and bitdefender were no longer being updated.

so now there is 360 total security, FREE still you can do an offline install or let them install just like a normal update, the only reason I do not like the new one is that I never wanted all the tools that come with total security, I like to do my own cleanup, so when I installed I unchecked everything except for what I had checked when it was just total security essentials.

down at the bottom, if you install offline, you will have to click the K to install their engine, when you do get online. I always like to install offline, do a search and then go online once it has learned my files, :)

desktop lite gets installed automatically, as soon as the installation is complete, if you look at the thing on your desktop, there is a line to Permanently close, I clicked on this so that it would not come up anymore.

in the tray notification area is an orange circle, this is some type of adblocker, I right clicked to get to where it says quit, and when asked if I wanted to disable I clicked YES.

One other thing I do not like but have found no way of stopping unless I pay to have ads stopped is that about once a day or so a popup ad coming from the notification tray will ask if you want to try this or that, I just click on the X in the top right corner and go on with what I was doing. Annoying but not too bad :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 28, 2021
    Samir and cornemuse like this.
  12. Janice

cornemuse

thanks for the details!

cornemuse, Apr 28, 2021
  13. Janice

Elizabeth23

no problemo

Elizabeth23, Apr 28, 2021
  14. Janice

seti-dog

I build my own Desktops with many custom features. My system is fully protected. My only requirement
    for virus protection is scanning downloaded files. ClamWin performed that job until the definition updates
    ceased. Unfortunately, ClamWin is dead.

Panda Dome free seems like a good ClamWin replacement. I like to download definition updates manually,
    and install offline. Is there a link for a Panda virus definitions update file? I googled a few times and didn't
    find anything.

seti-dog, Aug 14, 2021
Ask a Question