Making non-XP applications open on Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by krauzer, May 28, 2021.

1. krauzer

krauzer

Hi.

First of all I'm a complete layperson on the programming matter, but this is something I've been wondering about for a long time now but never succeeded when searching on the web(my search results are always obfuscated by different results).

Is there a software that can convert Windows XP non-compatible .exe file(that will only run on Win7/8/10) so it will boot on Windows XP?

I'm more the casual kind of gamer(so I'm not gamer per se), but lately even casual games are being replaced by Windows XP non-compatible .exe files.

In some cases I try to replace the .exe of these games with an older .exe from a previous game of same series and some of them work. (they're usually created on the same game engine so only the .exe comes messed up, this way some of the games can boot just fine if you copy/paste the .exe from the previous game with same filename)

There are many ocasions where japanese games released in let's say 2015 that originally runs on Windows XP but then Steam or any other publisher translates the game and release it as Windows XP non-compatible even though it should run.

Anyways, I wonder if there is a software that can at least get rid of the "this is not a valid 32 bit application" (most common message I get from Windows XP non-compatible applications) and actually try to run the game. Of course that might not be enough since Windows XP may lack other resources to run an application or game, but I would like if I could at least try to ACTUALLY run the application.

Thank you.

krauzer, May 28, 2021
  2. krauzer

red Guest

hi
    most if not all are 64 bit now best guess would be to try an emulator i know you can run 32 in a 64 bit but not the other way round
    gl

red, May 28, 2021
  3. krauzer

krauzer

Hi, I'm not sure what emulator you've mentioned.

krauzer, May 28, 2021
  4. krauzer

red Guest

hi
    virtual box would be best option or there is qemu i have not tried it though

red, May 29, 2021
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  5. krauzer

Samir

As mentioned, you can run 32-bit on 64, but not the other way around. Basically, XP can run anything up to it and before it, but not after--that's a hard limit.

Samir, May 30, 2021
  6. krauzer

r3tr0g4mr_qbc

However, the 64 bits version cannot run 16 bits code, the reason I am using the 32 bit version.

r3tr0g4mr_qbc, Jun 25, 2021
Ask a Question