Looking for the folks with Win XP XML experience

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by McNut, Sep 20, 2023.

1. McNut

McNut

QUOTE FROM FREECODECAMP DOT COM:
    An XML file contains tags that specify how the document should be structured and how it should be stored and transmitted over the internet. It is no longer the preferred method for organizing and transmitting data, but many legacy systems still use it. Also, both RSS and SVG are based on the XML format.

As I've mentioned in a couple of other threads, here on the Win XP Forums, we have a project coming up that involves old 32-bit abandonware that was written for - and is well know to work very well with - Windows XP. Having been away from PCs, in general, for over a dozen years, I don't know much at all about Windows operating systems post Win 7.

After searching for quite a while now, it's became very apparent that finding a decent Intel 6th gen laptop PC that will support Win 7 is much easier than finding a decent Intel 3rd gen Win XP laptop that's reliable - ask me how I know this. ;) Obviously, a newer laptop PC is usually preferred over an older model, so what's the problem? The problem is that the "abandonware" I'm referring to is highly XML-dependent, so I'm being told that it will only run on an Win XP PC - not a Win 7 PC.

My gut is telling me that we should be experimenting with an Intel 6th gen laptop PC - with Windows XP Mode installed - which brings me to my question: Does anyone know if the actual processing/handling of XML files changed after Windows XP?

McNut, Sep 20, 2023
  2. McNut

Borg

Im not really sure what is on your mind. XML is file format. That is handled by applications, not kernel. The question is, will your application will work on Win7?
    If yes, I see no problem basically. Other question is, does your application communicates with some kind of hardware over RS232 or USB?
    Because depending on that, you might go VM route. WinXP does have RDP server.
    So you can start such VM in background and comfortably work over RDP.

Generally, you are providing not enough info about your problem.

Borg, Sep 20, 2023
  3. McNut

McNut

Yeah, after so many hours of trying to figure things out, the vagaries begin to creep in.

The original post (OP) was referencing an old expensive proprietary 32-bit [unsupported] abandonware utility that is known to run in the Win XP OS. We don't actually have the utility, just yet. In fact, we're essentially being told to "find a decent XP machine - and then we'll talk." This being the case, we purchased an old laptop PC that, by all appearances, looked like an excellent machine, an Intel 3rd gen Dell Precision M4700.

Long story short, the M4700 is now a paperweight, so, naturally, we began a new search for another M4700 that is in good shape. This hasn't been easy, so I began looking into alternatives - and that's where the "Windows XP Mode" VM - that I mentioned in the OP - comes in. Put as simply as I can write it, I'm being told that a [newer] Intel 6th gen laptop PC, like a Dell Precision 7520 and an XP VM, may very well be an more dependable solution than trying to find an older XP laptop for running native Win XP ... but I digress.

I was told by the owner of the abandonware that - due to certain changes made by MS relating directly to how XML files are/were processed after Win XP - the utility in question will not run on anything newer than a true Win XP machine. This is what I was hoping that someone here might be able to either confirm or deny.

Thank you for the help.

McNut, Sep 20, 2023
  4. McNut

Borg

First, why does it have to be a laptop? I think you will have better luck with desktops.
    Second, that statement from them is shady... There is NOTHING wrong with just trying things, if it wont work, you go try another solution.
    Again, if this is just software, no weird HW control, you can just go with VM on whatever HW you want.

Borg, Sep 21, 2023
  5. McNut

McNut

There are two reasons for a laptop PC. The first is an extreme lack of physical space and the second is a need to carry a PC to the equipment racks that will be "driven" by the abandonware referenced in this thread.

I'd love to be able to simply try things, but we don't have the funds to purchase multiple laptop PCs, so I'm trying my best to make a good choice from the start ... and the fellow who owns the old software we need is considered to be the leading authority on the process. In other words, we won't be getting the utility from a friend of a friend or some anonymous guy on the internet.

Thank you for the post.

McNut, Sep 21, 2023
  6. McNut

Borg

Okey, so there is HW involved. Probably then no VM for you. Win7 have so called XP mode, with might be worth of trying too. Also, VirtualBox have RS-232 passthru.
    I think USB can be pass thru too. Good luck.

Borg, Sep 21, 2023
  7. McNut

McNut

Thank you. The search continues ...

McNut, Sep 22, 2023
Ask a Question