Installing from my own iso

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Bill Power, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Bill Power

Bill Power

I have a programme called CD Burner XP on my windows 10 laptop. I took the old 160 gig hard drive out of my EMachines M250 netbook and used CDBurner XP to create an ISO of my system. I simply copied all the files from an external 2.5 HD encosure and it made me an ISO of the system. Im now using Win to Flash to copy this over to a flash drive as the enclosure seems to not recognise new hard drives. Im hoping it will allow me to tranfer from the flash drive to the new 350gig hard drive in the EMachines.

If this dosent work wheres the best place to get a fresh reinstall ISO of XP for my netbook.

Bill Power, Apr 26, 2017
  2. Bill Power

Bill Power

Well I dont know if the above would have worked or not as it was taking such an excessively long time just queing up files to be written to the flash drive that I got fed up waiting and cancelled it.

I next tried connecting the external USB 2.5" caddy with my 160gb XP drive in it to the Emachines with the notion I might get away with using the "restore" partition to restore my new 350 gig drive. I changed the boot order in bios to boot from the caddy and initially it appeared to be booting into XP. But every time safe mode et all there was a power off which landed me back at the start so I had to give up. My Win 10 laptop told me the windows folder on the 160 was corrupt and would not open it. I reinstalled the drive thiniking I had wrecked it only to find the machine booted perfectly into XP

I really think what I need is a genuine XP home 32 install disk or find a safe clean ISO somewhere. When I was checking my older discs I discovered a genuine windows XP 32 professional install disk sp2 for a Dell computer plus on a seperate envelope stamped with a COA code for windows XP32 professional also marked Dell. Part of the end of the COA code is torn off so I dont know if its complete - there are 25 legible characters.As far as I can tell its of little use to me but someone on here might appreciate it. Any info about a cd or iso would also be greatly appreciated

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Bill Power, Apr 26, 2017
  3. Bill Power

Elizabeth23

since your drive boots, take an image of it with a program like acronis, you cannot just copy files and create a bootable iso.

https://www.google.com/#q=free+system+image+software+for+xp

read through several of the above to find a program that you would like to use.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

rufus is a much easier program to burn an iso image to a flash drive, I use an older version 1.20 which works better on my xp pc than the newer version.

a dell disc can be used to install on a dell. and the product key is 25 digits.

I do not know of any legitimate xp iso's but you can try below for yourself, you will need to activate and that can be hairy if you do not have a valid product key, the product key for a dell will only work on the dell it was issued with.

https://www.google.com/#q=free+iso+downloads+of+xp

Elizabeth23, Apr 26, 2017
  4. Bill Power

Bill Power

The product key I have is on a sticker on the bottom of my Emacines mini but it is for Windows XP home edition not professional. As I am simply upgrading the hard drive and memory I cannot see that it would not be usab;le with a genuine copy of Windows Home XP. I haf found a seller who claims to have such a disk and have bought it so hopefully I can use the Rufus programme you recommnended to create an ISO and run it from a usb stick to get the os onto the new drive

Bill Power, Apr 27, 2017
  5. Bill Power

Elizabeth23

will your pc boot from a flash drive?

Elizabeth23, Apr 27, 2017
  6. Bill Power

cornemuse

I dont quite understand what you want. Can you put the 160 hdd back in the emachine & then clone it to another drive?? Is this what you ultimatly want?

FWIW:
    An iso is just a container holding 'image/whatever'. (install Virtual Clone Drive on your comp & then 'mount' any iso image to it, you can copy/inspect the files in the iso)

Imgburn will create a bootable cd/dvd of iso's (image capable of being bootable)

Other programs are capable of creating bootable usb drives.

I myself prefer bootable disks over usbs as cd's cost 10¢ & thumb drives cost more, lots more. I've had a few laptops without cdroms & have an old usb cdrom drive for cds/dvds install/re-install of os's. Only once have I used usb bootable (sd card) media, was for a Raspberry Pi I was playing with.

https://www.redfox.bz/en/virtual-clonedrive.html <-free!

-corne-

(I've had bronchitius for a month & caught a cold last week to top it off, so I might seem to be rambling on a bit)

cornemuse, Apr 28, 2017
Ask a Question