Good news everyone

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by eatup, Oct 2, 2015.

1. eatup

eatup

XP is back as the 2nd most used OS in the world right behind Win7. This is all thanks to Windows 10, which stole market shares from Win7/8.x throughout August and September. If Windows 10 hadn't already launched, XP would be in third place right now behind Windows 8.1...

eatup, Oct 2, 2015
  2. eatup

Elizabeth23

hurrah for xp, :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 2, 2015
  3. eatup

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    What If.

Microsoft XP 2016. (32 and 64 bit).

With XP being the the second most used OS after 14 years it would be great if Microsoft re-engineered XP to bring some aspects up to current standards and had two OS's to choose from.

Windows 10, yes I suppose Windows 10 is here to stay and the, “Windows as a service” part of Windows 10 will not go away. Many of us do not like like Windows 10 for many reasons, privacy being the tip of the iceberg.

Windows 10 is more of a, “let the OS do things it's way” and ignore the vast majority of PC and OS users who prefer to have control of the OS and not the OS in control of the user.

Windows XP 2016 perhaps.

Offered as 32 and 64 bit.

The most user friendly and unbreakable OS since Windows 2000. All of the features of the present XP with the necessary inclusions.

Microsoft .NetFramework.

Silverlight.

Improved “personalisation” and certainly not the Windows 10, “white on white”. Personal preference here, I like the Windows 8.1 look.

If it must be, offer Internet Explorer Ver 11 with the base code of Microsoft Edge but not the Edge screen presentation. Stay with the, traditional” Internet Explorer look. And, the big one, break the grasp of the Bing search engine and allow a choice of search engines.

No, “tiles”. The desktop is the desktop.

The Start bar the same.

No requirement forced on the user to have a Microsoft Account.

For those of us that like to spend time playing the traditional games built into XP, modernise these to,”real” full screen. There is a Microsoft pack that does this for Windows 8 to Windows 10 and gives the same look and feel to these old favouites as Windows 7. Funny, the end of a successful game has the same, “effects” as the Vista versions.

Program compatibility. Quite a few of our old and favourite programs will not run on Windows from Windows 8 to Windows 10. Rather annoying really. Keep the XP compatibility in any new build of XP for older programs.

Offer any new version of XP as an OS for the enthusiast and do not tie it to the Microsoft Store, Bing, or MSN.

Microsoft, take a good look at Linux. Driver problems still beset us. Linux just looks at a device and says, “oh, you are one of those, no problem”.
    There are so many great aspects of XP I know I have not even scratched the surface with some poor ideas for a, “new XP”.

Please put your ideas, “into the pot”.

Pricing. Well Microsoft has made mega-millions with XP. A little goodwill perhaps by offering a, “new XP” as a free upgrade without the forced upgrade aspects of Windows 10.

Having a, “new XP” would possibly split users into two streams. The “enthusiast” and the, “do it for me” users.

Ah, dreams. That's all this is I suppose, just a silly dream.

Zzzzz,

Mark. (Aunty Jack).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Aunty Jack, Oct 2, 2015
  4. eatup

eatup

Putting lipstick on a pig don't make it a horse. Win 8.1, the OS that gives you the illusion of speed, until you actually open a program that demands system resources. Then, you'll see... The same app on the latest gen Intel CPU under Win8.1 with 32GB of RAM runs 10x slower than on an XP system with 2GB of RAM that was made 7 years ago.

This is what I mean by MSFT sucks. If Nintendo were to make Win 8.1, it would have been on a totally different kernel (than Vista or 7) and my app would not have run 10X slower than XP, but actually quite a bit faster!

Source: My own PCs (one Ivy bridge desktop on Win8.1 and one Merom laptop on XP).

eatup, Oct 2, 2015
  5. eatup

Termingamer2-JD

Yep. However if they had used the same kernel, Nintendo would probably have DONE something with it, like they did with the GC and Wii (basically the Wii is a GameCube with double the power and some upgrades to hardware inside).

I hate the need for bloated, slow operating systems, and software, which is why XP is still the best.

Glad to hear the news also, and also, IE6 usage was 0.77% last month, the month before was 0.5% or something, another good thing!

Termingamer2-JD, Oct 3, 2015
  6. eatup

You

That makes no sense at all. If Windows 8.1 were to have a totally different kernel, none of the programs designed for previous versions of Windows would work correctly, or Windows would have to emulate the old kernel defeating the point of having a new kernel. And nobody would want to develop for the new kernel because their program would then not be backwards-compatible with Windows 7 and Windows XP, very popular versions of Windows.

You, Nov 28, 2015
Ask a Question