Fix boot blue screen of an XP clone

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by elim, Jul 9, 2015.

1. elim

elim

I have a working Dell D630 with triple boot win2k, winXP and ubuntu.

I cloned the installation to a Dell D430 laptop using CloneZilla. 120GB HDD (sata) to 120GB (zif 1.8").

The reason I'm cloning the installations was that its an development environment, many tools and settings, user data etc are almost impossible to transfer otherwise. Win2k is especially difficult. The current patched installer can never run wamp correctly.

Anyways, the clone job went well, I can get to triple boot menu, go ubuntu no problems, go win2k get in VGA mode, need lots of compatible drivers, but cannot boot to xp: It simply kick you back to boot menu.

I installed several drivers for win2k, It worked. And I noticed during the video driver installation, it asked many times whether to cover the existing newer driver with old ones. If I say not to all, then the resulting os acts just like the broken xp, you can never boot into it anymore. If I replace the older drivers to the newer ones in the os clone, I can then fix the other driver issues and obtain a working win2k.

So my guess to the broken xp (It still woking well on D630) is that there are some incompatiable drivers and maybe some windows xp updates. But now I have ubuntu and win2k that can access xp partition. Hopefully I can delete some files(drivers) to make the XP clone bootable?

Any advises? Thanks a lot!

elim, Jul 9, 2015
  2. elim

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jul 9, 2015
  3. elim

elim

Thanks a lot Elizabeth23. I did have most of the drivers for each OS.

Tried clonezilla several times. Including verify the clone job. Seems ok. So manually remove some drivers maybe the only thing easy enough for me to try....

elim, Jul 10, 2015
  4. elim

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jul 10, 2015
Ask a Question