Exotic Windows XP Build

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Kithylin, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Kithylin

marinescuiuri

great build.

marinescuiuri, Jan 13, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  2. Kithylin

Kithylin

Thanks. I actually picked up a RTX 3070 Ti for my main computer a few weeks or a month ago and I've been playing a lot of newer games lately so this has sat idle. It's just sitting in the other room though. I'll get back to playing it again. I'm kinda sad the NVME drive idea for it didn't work though.

Kithylin, Jan 13, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  3. Kithylin

marinescuiuri

man, I like to hear the hdd search for data, spinning there.

never had 2 hdds in raid mode.

i5 3470T arrived today, for a xp low power build. remember i wanted to do one and was searching for refurbished pc's that can take xp? fujitsu siemens esprimo e710 is the new candidate.

i wish to keep gaming maximum once per week, some classics like red alert 2 and heroes 3. nothing brain taxing. have a family now, and the brain cells are numbered, they are not infinite. i will need them for my family.

your build is an apex for windows XP. there is still room for improvment, and that's a good thing.

marinescuiuri, Jan 14, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  4. Kithylin

Kithylin

Personally I don't want to rely on spinning drives any more for any of my computers. It's not about the speed it's that spinning drives tend to die and solid state drives are infinitely more reliable. My windows XP computer is running on a SATA SSD through an IDE adapter. This WinXP system runs on two SATA SSD's. My modern gaming computer only runs on NVME drives, etc. The only thing I have with spinning drives still in the house is my old 2008 file server and I'm wanting to replace it with high capacity SATA SSD's later this summer or this fall 2022 if the price of the 2-4 TB ones drop cheap enough.

Yeah this is sort of a "Basic apex build" using "Desktop" parts. I could still switch it over to "HEDT" with Intel's X79 platform and I have a big and sexy copper water block for either a GTX 780 Ti or a Titan Black one day. All of that would be XP compatible. And I have a Samsung 950 Pro NVME drive that's bootable in older systems. I've done some searching online and some people have ported NVME drivers to XP but I haven't spent the time to really go in-depth and try to find one that works yet. I know this build as it is may seem super fast for XP as it is but I still have my sights on other things that would be faster and still fully compatible with XP too.

Kithylin, Jan 14, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  5. Kithylin

marinescuiuri

bill gates would be proud. this is my man, once you get older, too much speed is hard to follow.

once i double click something i like it to take a second or two for opening. might be just nostalgia or the fact that i got used to slower systems. God knows. with the intel core 2 duo windows xp was already very fast. with i5, it will go faster. so i might, in time, look for a more classic build. this time amd cpu way. maximum 2002.

congratulations once more for that computer. hope one day to be an apex retro battlestation. very good work.

marinescuiuri, Jan 15, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  6. Kithylin

Kithylin

Maybe you but myself as I get older I find I'm more *NOT* wanting to wait on anything. I rather the computer get done with whatever it is I tasked it to do faster so I can either get on to gaming or go do something else. Waiting on things is my enemy mostly.

Kithylin, Jan 19, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  7. Kithylin

Samir

Thank you for this build thread! Lots of great stuff in it for sure. :)

I'd like you to fire up a browser or two in xp (ff52 and chrome45 if you can) and check out speed-battle.com and tell me what you're hitting. Refresh it a few times to get the highest number you can and then post it.

Samir, Feb 6, 2022
  8. Kithylin

Kithylin

Here you go:
    [​IMG]
    https://i.imgur.com/RBWuZAU.png

Also apparently if you go to the bottom on the windows XP Statistics on that website that's me at the bottom with 1903.76 :) Well at least I'm the fastest in XP for 2022 so far.. we have a long year to go yet.

Kithylin, Feb 6, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  9. Kithylin

Samir

Thank you so much!! That's a solid score. I think the only system that I have that's touched that is my 4790k running win7. :)

Samir, Feb 7, 2022
  10. Kithylin

Aswego

I'm currently building an xp64 rig with an fx8350 on an asrock 990fx fatality, 16gb 2400mhz ddr3, 250gb m.2 ssd, 2 gtx 760 4gb gpu's in sli.
    I already have an fx6300 build up and running
    20220314_095720.jpg

Aswego, Mar 23, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  11. Kithylin

Kithylin

First: I tried XP64 and I would *NOT* recommend it. It has very bad compatibility issues and can not run most XP era games correctly. Secondly the FX platform is really terrible in single core performance. And Everything in XP (Even XP-64) is Directx-9 only which is entirely single core for gaming. An old core 2 duo at stock speed is going to have a better single core performance than even the fastest CPU on that platform you have. What I wrote is not speculation by the way or fanboyism it's fact and it can be proven by multiple places online. What I went for in this build was specifically the absolute fastest possible XP-32 performance.

Kithylin, Mar 23, 2022
  12. Kithylin

Aswego

This is just some of the hardware I have laying around. I have alot of hardware thought it would be fun to get back into xp and I already have a working copy of 64 and so far no issues... but if I start experiencing any driver / software issues I can always install 32. Also have a few lga 2011v2 and v3 systems just sitting. Might give them a whirl. Not sure what Intel chipsets support xp but I have some core 2 quads and a sample of each I gen upto gen 7. I5s and i7s and some celerons and pentiums. Not sure I would spend any real money on an xp build. But I have alot of hardware lol.

Aswego, Mar 23, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  13. Kithylin

Kithylin

Intel X79 is the latest / fastest chipset based system to have fully native WindowsXP support (32 or 64).

Kithylin, Mar 23, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  14. Kithylin

Aswego

Did x79 support ddr4?

Aswego, Mar 23, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  15. Kithylin

Kithylin

No. Intel's X79 only supported DDR3. It pre-dated DDR4 even existing by several years.

Kithylin, Mar 23, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  16. Kithylin

Aswego

I have found some x79 motherboards that support NVME, so I was just curious if anyone Frankensteined ddr4 onto one.

Aswego, Mar 23, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  17. Kithylin

Kithylin

That is not possible. The chipset it's self doesn't even support the physical connections to DDR4. If you can provide me links to any X79 motherboard that supports NVME then that would be interesting to look at. I might be wrong but I'm 99% sure that the entire X79 chipset and platform pre-dated NVME as well. What I mean is while yes we can use an NVME drive in a PCIE adapter as a storage device these systems do not have native NVME support and we can not use NVME drives in any X79 system as a boot device / system boot drive. At least as far as I know. I could be wrong though so.. if you find something that can do this please link us to it here.

Kithylin, Mar 23, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  18. Kithylin

Aswego

Screenshot_20220323-193214_eBay.jpg
    This is on ebay.

Aswego, Mar 23, 2022
  19. Kithylin

Aswego

3845BAE1-C5B2-4F64-8C3B-417FCF338C56.jpg
    Not entirely sure what this all is but it's in the mail.. might make a good xp build. Or a Vista/ 7 build.

Aswego, Mar 23, 2022
    Samir likes this.
  20. Kithylin

Aswego

Ok just asked the seller again.
    I7-970 12gbs of ddr3 6*2gb 1600mhz cl9 x58 saber tooth

Aswego, Mar 23, 2022
    Samir likes this.
Ask a Question