Documents in Start Menu

Discussion in 'Windows XP Customization' started by Rudy Lewis, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

What is the maximum number of items you can have in the Documents (not My Documents) in the Start Menu? Can you increase the number allowed if there is a default number?

Rudy Lewis, Mar 29, 2020
  2. Rudy Lewis

Elizabeth23

your question is not clear: do you mean how many items can be listed in the start menu?
    the start menu is only so large and if you use large icons and place too many items there then you will get a message stating that there is not room to show all items

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/win...o-start-menu-for-folders-in-windows-vista-xp/

do you use the above registry change to allow pinning to the start menu? It is the first change I make when I reinstall xp :)

=========

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/take-advantage-of-the-windows-xp-start-menus-pinned-items-list/

according to above the number is 30

You can pin as many as 30 of your most often used programs to the Start menu, depending on your screen resolution setting. With your actual favorite programs on the pinned items list, you can now really take advantage of the Start menu.

Elizabeth23, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Rudy Lewis

cornemuse

Hmmm, this comp has 26 items (I just counted them), I have to scroll to see them all.
    I am certain one (or more) of my other comps has more than 30. Now I'll have to check!

cornemuse, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Rudy Lewis

Elizabeth23

I only have 15 :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 29, 2020
  5. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Okay, I will try to explain; After you open a file, it will appear (most of the time; I have noticed there are certain files which will not be listed) in Documents of the Start Menu. To view these documents, you click on Start (in the lower left portion of your screen). You will then see a list, one of them being "Documents". There will be an arrow at the end of "Documents" which will expand when you hover over "Documents". You will then see a list of all files (well, most files) which have been opened. I am curious if there is a limit to these files which XP will allow; if that limit is reached, will XP remove files to accommodate new ones, and is there a way to increase that number? I never have and never will reach the number of 30 (which you posted in this discussion); however, the information might be useful one day. I realize I can delete any of the file shortcuts listed under "Documents" or clear them all by going to the Taskbar Properties. It just seemed to me the list was shorter now that I reinstalled XP; however, that may delusion on my part; I have not tested to see how many I can have. Thanks to everyone who has offered solutions/answers.
    RL

Rudy Lewis, Mar 29, 2020
  6. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

Also, no I do not mess with the registry unless absolutely necessary. Changing the registry was the final straw which broke the camel's back and convinced me to reinstall XP. One last item: I do not like the word "pinned" and this will be the only time anyone will see/hear me use the word; I am a dinosaur and prefer correct English to communicate my thoughts. Please do not hold this against me; I am a grammar freak. :) As a matter of fact, this is first time I have used an emoticon.
    Best,
    RL

Rudy Lewis, Mar 29, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  7. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

I can have 15 documents in Start, Documents; if I add another file/document, one of the 15 disappears and is replaced by the new file. I do not know which one disappears; however, it is easy enough to find out. I will delete the files then create 16 numerically sequenced text files then find out which file disappears once I open the 16th file.

Rudy Lewis, Jun 10, 2020
  8. Rudy Lewis

Mr Siamese Cat

Go to Documents and settings then to your user name (Documents and settings\Username)

You will find “My Recent Documents” Create a shortcut to it and put shortcut where convenient. Always good for the first 200 or so documents and files. Can be useful if you are working on a big project.

Is that any help?

Mr Siamese Cat, Jun 10, 2020
  9. Rudy Lewis

Mr Siamese Cat

I have just checked and I have 33 documents in the start menu documents. So perhaps it has something to do with the screen res or other settings.

Mr Siamese Cat, Jun 10, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  10. Rudy Lewis

Rudy Lewis

After a small amount of testing, I have found that the Start, Documents will hold a maximum of 15 items/file links. I can only have 10 of any file extensions before the oldest will disappear when I add the 11th. However, I can have 10 with the same extension plus 5 of other extensions to equal the 15. I checked the properties of some of the shortcuts in the Start, Documents and found all of the .txt files to have the same amount of bytes, but the links to files with different extension all had different amount of bytes, whether or not they had the same file extension as others on the list. Thank you Mr Siamese Cat! Again, something I did not know. I also searched and found a way to increase the quantity of documents listed in Start, Documents; however, I will no longer edit the registry because I totally "messed" things up one time because I followed instructions from a forum. I have added two registry hacks in the last six months which were successful (I created restore points before each hack, but did not have to return to a the previous restore point), but I will not add or edit registry entries using regedit any longer. Before today, I would clear the documents when it reached the max, but now I will go to the folder via the link to view any desired files which are not in the Start, Documents list. I wll let you know what happens!
    Thanks again,
    RL

Rudy Lewis, Jun 11, 2020
Ask a Question