Display issue after repair & XP reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Ohiostar, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

I was happily running Windows XP on a Dell computer for years, no problems until last fall when I started getting BSOD that prevented startup. I assumed the repair shop (the only one in the area that still works with XP) would just replace the hard drive and reinstall XP, but it turned out the motherboard also had some issues so they ended up giving me a new(er) Gigasys (sp?) machine with a clean XP install. I used Legacy Update to get it up to SP3.

The main problem I now have is the display, my monitor is rectangular and the display is stretched, and it makes the game playing and desktop publishing I use it for pretty difficult. The only display option is changing resolution but that just makes things smaller and shifts the display off the left side of the monitor. There is no option that I can find to change the aspect ratio, as my old machine did. I tried to do the automatic video driver update but the system found none. Device Manager shows the video adapter as not found. Repair place says the problem is in my monitor, another shop says it’s the video card but they no longer work on anything to do with an unsupported OS.

I’m at a loss, is it the video card? Monitor? Since the programs I use this for all need a correct video display, it’s fairly useless to me as is. Is there anything else I should be trying or looking at? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ohiostar, Mar 22, 2024
  2. Ohiostar

Elizabeth23

have you looked in device manager to see if any yellow exclamation points show a needed driver?

what is the make, model of the computer?

Elizabeth23, Mar 22, 2024
  3. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

Ohiostar, Mar 22, 2024
  4. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

Yes, there ‘s one by VGA controller. Thst’s why I tried to update through Windiws Updates, but it didn’t find any. It also gives me no identifying information on the video card, which is probably why it didn’t find a driver.

I only know the maker of the case and the motherboard is Gigabite. There is no model number I can find. I suspect it was a custom build the shop maybe took in as a trade in, they do that.

Ohiostar, Mar 22, 2024
  5. Ohiostar

Elizabeth23

that is going to be really hard to find a driver, I do not have a vga controller in my device manager, I have a graphics controller, you might have to download several different drivers and install one at a time to see if you can get the full xp function.

you will have to install, restart, if it works good, if not uninstall, restart and then try the next one.

6. Ohiostar

Elizabeth23

7. Ohiostar

Ohiostar

Thank you!

Ohiostar, Mar 23, 2024
  8. Ohiostar

tekkaman

You can try if driverpack works for you. I believe you have to install dotnet 4 for it to run though.

tekkaman, Mar 25, 2024
Ask a Question