Dell M4700 32-Bit Win XP Install

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by McNut, Oct 22, 2023.

1. McNut

McNut

It's a long story, but I managed to frag a new [to us] mint condition Dell Precision M4700 mobile workstation that came to us with Win 11 installed. My thoughts are that I screwed the pooch when I attempted to change the boot order in what Dell calls its UEFI/BIOS, but that's only a guess. The result was absolutely zero video to the FHD screen or from the HDMI ouput ...

... so I ordered a new main board and a new nVIDIA dGPU board and, after being interrupted by several life things (including taxes), I'm finally back to rebuilding the M4700. At this point, I'm getting very close to being able to test it out again, but my question is what one has to do to install a 32-but version of Win XP on an SSD?

It's been quite a few years since I've installed any version of Windows on a new system drive, but it seems clear to me that our 32-bit version of Win XP SP2 was released many years before the 256GB SSD in our Dell M4700 was released, so I'm confused about how to approach the install. If anyone has any thoughts on how to start the process, I'd love to read them.

Thank you for any help.

McNut, Oct 22, 2023
  2. McNut

Elizabeth23

Ask a Question