Compaq Presario Laptop won't boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Synchro, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Synchro

Synchro

I have an old Compaq Presario Laptop (AMD64 cpu) that I still use (only offline). About 3 months ago, I either somehow deleted or corrupted some system file that caused the laptop to take a VERY long time to boot up (around 10 minutes). When it was finally booted up, any application that I opened would take about 15 to 30 seconds to start the first time, but if I closed the application and then restarted it, it would open rapidly, as it should. These applications are e.g. a word processor, or a spreadsheet.

Today, I opened a DOS window and ran "chkdsk" with the fix corrupted files option, /F.

Poor decision: now, the laptop only gets to the black background screen with the Microsoft XP "loading" icon showing (it has the goofy bar with the three little blue squares traveling across it repeatedly). That's as far as it goes ... it just stays there.

I bought this new when COMP USA had brick and mortar stores. It did NOT come with a MS XP system disk.

Are there any files that I should check to see if they're missing or that I could overwrite with a similar named file from my old desktop XP?

Any help for my old Buddy laptop (and for me) will be very much appreciated.

Regards,
    Synchro

Synchro, Jul 12, 2015
  2. Synchro

Elizabeth23

you should run checkdisk with the /r parameter, what happens when you do this??

Elizabeth23, Jul 12, 2015
Ask a Question