Can’t boot or repair XP/Vista

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Prologica, Sep 16, 2023.

1. Prologica

Prologica

Hi All,

I’m trying to retrieve some photo files from an old Dell Vostro. I bought it as a dual boot Vista
    /XP machine but only used XP.
    On a normal boot I get the SYS/CONFIG error missing or corrupt. F8 doesn’t take me to Advanced options to try safe mode and I can’t find a cmd prompt option either, just F2 for diagnostics and F12 for boot options. I dug out an XP installation CD, made CD the primary boot option. On booting from the CD at the Windows Setup screen hitting R for recovery console does nothing. It starts loading files then reaches a stop screen: “*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF748E0BF, 0xF78DA208, 0xF78D9F08) *** pci.sys - Address F748E0BFbaseat F7487000, DateStamp 3c0bfadb
    As I recall the hard drive is pretty much at capacity and system date is set to a 2009 date as I recall - something I think to do with support having expired.
    If anyone can offer any suggestions I’d be very grateful!
    Thanks!

Prologica, Sep 16, 2023
  2. Prologica

Prologica

Ps. I ran hardware and memory diagnostics and no issues were found

Prologica, Sep 16, 2023
  3. Prologica

tekkaman

If the setup from CD doesn't complete it can be a few things:
    1- CD or drive are not working correctly.
    2- Bad ram
    3- Bad Hard drive

tekkaman, Sep 18, 2023
  4. Prologica

j896

If you have another computer and can remove the hard drive from the dell vostro you can buy a ide & sata external adapter kit like this one https://www.amazon.com/EYOOLD-Recov...sata+adapter+converter&qid=1695739061&sr=8-16 I dident buy mine from here i got it on ebay but you can then plug the Vostro hard drive in to it and remove any photos you want or anything else.. Now this is assuming the hard drive still works and has not gone bad.

j896, Sep 26, 2023
Ask a Question