ASMedia XHCI Controller Success Story

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by BlueBeastie, Jun 23, 2020.

1. BlueBeastie

BlueBeastie

Hello everyone.
    I just wanted to post this here for posterity, in case some Googler needs help with this.

A few months ago, I posted my success story on getting the Intel SATA AHCI driver installed.
    Well, this one had me pulling my hair out! My USB 3 port wasn't working, I noticed, so I downloaded the driver for it.

The driver came from Asus' website, from the page for my A54C. Even though the drivers are listed for Windows 7 and 8, they're also compatible with XP. However, the installer always immediately triggered a BSOD. For the brief second the screen was showing, I saw the culprit was USBPORT.SYS. I tried installing the driver myself through Device Manager, but disabling the Standard PCI to USB Controller would trigger the BSOD, so I knew it wasn't the ASMedia driver or the installer.

After a lot unhelpful Googling, I decided to see what would happen if I removed usbport from the drivers folder and attempt to install the driver then. But every time I deleted the file, it immediately generates a new one in it's place! Well, there was another file related to the ASMedia driver called "asmtxhci", so I thought, heck, I'll remove that too! Once I did, usbport stopped regenerating. So, with those two out of the driver folder, I ran the installer to see what would happen and... it worked!
    The driver installed without a hitch and a new usbport was created, one that supports the driver, I guess.

So, if you find that you can't get your xHCI driver to install because it bluescreens, try removing usbport and see what happens, kids.

I kind of wonder if anyone a lot more tech savvy could explain what the heck was happening here.

BlueBeastie, Jun 23, 2020
    verta likes this.
  2. BlueBeastie

Elizabeth23

that was pretty good work :)

Elizabeth23, Jun 24, 2020
Ask a Question