10-Bit Laptop Screen in 8-Bit Machine?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Hunter2021, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Hunter2021

Hunter2021

I just found a "smokin hot" laptop screen on Aliexpress. It's the same price as all other laptop screens of the same size and resolution, but much better in specs. Was wondering why THAT screen not selling like hotcakes... in fact only 1 sold so far, nobody else buying it.

THE SCREEN:

10 Bit (1.07 billion colors -- basically 4x color space of 8Bit screens)
    100% sRGB, 99% DCI-P3
    1920x1080 (13.3 inch)

10Bit.jpg

Well, I'm going to buy it, then plug it into my 8bit output machine and tell you all how it goes. Theoretically, it should work. The specs say it's eDP and eDP 1.4. eDP is supposed to be backwards compatible, so the fact that it supports the original eDP specifications should make it work with my mini-PC.

BTW, I know that I won't get 1.07 billion colors. For that, you actually need a PC capable of outputting 10-Bit eDP signals. 8-Bit output is 1/4th of that color space. BUT if it actually works on my machine... wowsa!!

Also, I've never seen a laptop screen with two connector ports at the back before. This is definitely NOT a touch screen. So maybe, port one on the left is the newer eDP 1.4 mode accepting 10-bit signals, while the port on the right is the classical 8-bit eDP port?

10Bit2.jpg

If my experiment proves successful, it means you can transplant any 10-Bit screen into a 8-Bit only laptop...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    Hunter2021, Nov 22, 2023
  2. Hunter2021

Hunter2021

So, I've learnt something new. Apparently, this laptop screen isn't true 10-Bit. It's actually 8-Bit + FRC, meaning the screen rapidly switches between two colors to create the illusion of something in between. At the end of the day, it's better to get 8-Bit+FRC for use with 8-bit machines because...

I would be abhorred if I got a 8-Bit screen and it turns out to be actually 6-Bit + FRC!!

In the past I've looked down on screens that only list 262k colors. Now I know 262k (6-Bit) theoretically should be better than faked 16.7M colors (6-Bit + FRC) because it doesn't flicker...

Hunter2021, Nov 24, 2023
Ask a Question