Trim on multiboot machines

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by priscus, Jun 27, 2016.

1. priscus

priscus

Default installation of Linux often results in two partitions:' Swap' and '/' (root).

Texts often advise manual partitioning during setup to yield three partitions: :' Swap', '/', and '/home'.

Since 'Trim' can only be effective if it covers the range of these partitions, ie not just the system partition, can it not also trim an 'XP Partition'?

Or am I missing something?

If it can , anyone able to advise how to make it happen?

priscus, Jun 27, 2016
  2. priscus

Mike_Walsh

Hi, priscus.

Unfortunately, no; it won't. For the simple reason that XP was never designed to support TRIM. I run an IDE/PATA interface 64GB Kingspec SSD in my old Inspiron lappie. It dual-booted XP and 'Puppy' Linux till a few months ago, but XP was always really too much for it.

One way round the 'garbage-collection' problem, if TRIM isn't possible, is to leave around 10% of the drive unformatted. This gives the controller room to work with, as it rotates 'old' blocks out of service, prior to deleting them and reporting them to the OS as ready for re-use. And it works quite well.

I also have the advantage, with 'Puppy' (since it runs entirely in RAM, and only 'saves' back to the SSD at the end of the session), that the number of read/write cycles is greatly reduced, thus ensuring longer life for the item in question.

Hope that helps!

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Aug 30, 2016
  3. priscus

goldie

4. priscus

priscus

I asked if another operating system can trim an XP partition. If it is being run from another operating system, what difference can XP's lack of trim awareness make?

priscus, Sep 8, 2016
  5. priscus

Mike_Walsh

Sorry priscus; my bad. I didn't really answer your original question, did I?

This, however, gives a fairly good explanation of what is, and isn't, possible.....

http://askubuntu.com/questions/435825/can-ubuntu-trim-another-ntfs-partition

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Sep 25, 2016
  6. priscus

Compaq_8200_Elite

XP with Perfectdisk installed can trim another XP partition in a dual boot setup.
    PerfectDisk uses its special SSD Optimize setting for solid state drives that, instead of defragmenting files, consolidates fragmented free space:
    TRIMs free space from partially full blocks of data
    Identifies where the largest section of free space exists on the drive
    Consolidates free space in that location, whether at the beginning, middle or end of the disk

Smart Defrag 5 also will trim all partitions on a dual boot XP setup
    For SSD:
    You can see Trim button and other two options: Analyze, Trim & Intelligent Optimize.
    Trim: It wipes the data that no longer used on your SSD to speed it up.
    Analyze: This option analyzes the SSD status and recommends the most suitable method for you.
    Trim & Intelligent Optimize: It trims your SSD and optimizes it to improve the performance and extend the life of your SSD.

Compaq_8200_Elite, Jul 17, 2017
Ask a Question