Scary stuff if you use anything by MSFT after XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by eatup, Jun 26, 2016.

1. eatup

eatup

Some scary stuff built into Windows Vista and later for the privacy minded: Websites can track your physical location using Window's built in location tracker.

This happened to a website that refused to let me use it in Win7. But the same website worked in XP using the same browser, b/c XP isn't capable of giving out one's location.

One of the many reasons why I do 95% of my daily business in XP, unless there is no other choice... and btw, no my computer isn't equipped with GPS or anything like that, but Vista and later are surprisingly good at answering location queries back to the websites you visit...

Another analogy is, XP only gives out your IP address with the long complicated hash string that the websites must decipher on their own to find out your location. But, no, Vista and later pre-deciphers your IP, making it exceedingly easy on the web-masters with no programming skills/no commercial enterprise resources or IP cross-check databases to physically track you...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    eatup, Jun 26, 2016
  2. eatup

cmccaff1

As if I needed any more reasons to stay on XP--now I'm DEFINITELY not going to be migrating. Thanks for the info! Sorry for my reply coming two years late, but this was worth a necro-bump (or whatever it's called).

cmccaff1, Sep 14, 2018
  3. eatup

jim davis

xp is closer back to the days many less of us were born in digital captivity,

and we saw spying as a complete crock of perverted lizard crap.
    these kids can't miss what they never had, :confused:
    and theres a price they pay, they think comic books are novels.

At the bar I hang out at
    theres this friend of mine, he's a six foot tall rabbit,
    well trimmed and all, any way, he says you just have to laugh about all this, cause no matter where you go
    there you are.

jim davis, Sep 22, 2018
    Elizabeth23 and cmccaff1 like this.
Ask a Question