Tales of Aging Hardware

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by eatup, Jun 11, 2016.

1. eatup

eatup

I'm starting this thread for ppl to share tales of their aging hardware.

Here's one of mine:

The CCFL screen on my laptop bought in 2005 developped a yellowish tint last year. Another CCFL LCD desktop monitor bought in 2004 caught on an incurable greenish tint recently. Both are working fine, but the newly acquired colors make my stomach churn...

On a brighter note, remember those old CRT color TV's? If they lasted as long as my monitors above did, that would have been a tale to tell!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    eatup, Jun 11, 2016
  2. eatup

Touko White

My dad saw an NES a few months back in someone's house and it was basically completely yellow. No grey in sight.
    Does that count?

I forgot how the NES plastic-stuff was made, I know the reason why the plastic turns yellow and all discoloured, it's because of the heat. Some computers I've seen are like that too.

Touko White, Jun 12, 2016
  3. eatup

cornemuse

I had a Microtek 19" (4-3) monitor which lasted only 12 years, , , , cost about $700 as I recall. Replaced it with an 'Eizo' 21.5" (4-3) monitor $1,000 +, hope it lasts 12 years, , ,

-c-

cornemuse, Jun 12, 2016
  4. eatup

priscus

Somewhere, lying around, I still have a serial- port connection mouse, and a keyboard with full sized DIN connector.

These are leftovers from the 486 era machine: built in the mid 1980s. It worked until year 2000. Did not have coin-cell type bios battery as do current machines, but the 'Dallas RTC chip' (Which had built in ten years battery).

It was still working, but replacement Dallas chip was more than machine was worth, so I cannibalised it for static RAM chips.

Keyboard (A big heavy IBM) still works OK with an adaptor.

Mouse: I have a project in mind for that!

priscus, Jun 12, 2016
  5. eatup

cornemuse

Never even considered it, but, my keyboard is an at least 20 yr old 'BTC' brand, made in Korea, big plug, HEAVY!, I just really like the key layout & 'feel' of the keys, , ,

-c-

cornemuse, Jun 13, 2016
Ask a Question