No internet , but XP says I am connected

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by quovadis, Mar 7, 2016.

1. quovadis

quovadis

Hi All,

Did a reinstall from scratch today , and installed XP Pro ... problem is it formatted the drive and I lost all the drivers ... I have been on the Acer site and downloaded software that tells me what hard is on this TRAVELMATE 2490 ... so copying this to a pen and then installing it on the laptop I was able to install the correct driver for this machine ( Atheros AR5005G wireless network adaptor . when I rebooted it says that the signal is strong ..asked me for the wep key and connected BUT I am unable to access the internet .. Have done many of the solutions shown on the net ( I have another laptop ) so worked my way through them , but to date no go ....it says its working properly

when I look in device manager net work adaptors is installed and Ok HOWEVER on other devices I have the common yellow question mark showing

ETHERNET CONTROLLER
    PCI DEVICE
    PCI FLASH MEMORY
    PCI FLASH MEMORY
    PCI FLASH MEMORY
    SM BUS CONTROLLER
    VIDEO CONTROLLER
    VIDEO CONTROLLER 9 VGA COMPATABLE

In this order , when I go to the Acer web site I don't see these items listed as a download ?

Any help appreciated

Paul :confused:

quovadis, Mar 7, 2016
  2. quovadis

Cammygirl192

Have you tried updating to Service Pack 3? Most connection these days require WPA connection, not WEP, however I do not sure about your connection.

Cammygirl192, Mar 7, 2016
  3. quovadis

Elizabeth23

can you connect through LAN?

go to control panel/ network connections/ show all connections/ right click and choose repair, does this help? and if not at what point does the repair stop??

Elizabeth23, Mar 7, 2016
  4. quovadis

Elizabeth23

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    Elizabeth23, Mar 7, 2016
  5. quovadis

quovadis

This is all news to me ..... I have not installed chip drivers at all !!! .... To date all I have done since installing XP is to install the driver for the wireless and Lan

How/ where can I get a copy of service pack three ? Can I download this to another PC and pen and then install this way ?

What is the best way forward from this point?

Thanks to all who have replied

quovadis, Mar 8, 2016
  6. quovadis

Elizabeth23

download sp3:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080725...2ce3edf42d/WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

download to a flash drive and then carry to pc and install

reinstall all drivers starting with the chipset, then all the others,

so first download your owner's manual and read through reinstall section

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/5032;-;TravelMate P645-MG
    type in travelmate 2490 or insert your serial number

download sp3 and drivers to flash drive

install sp3, reboot twice

install drivers, starting with chipset!!!

you can uninstall drivers already installed by you or reinstall over them either way as long as you start with chipset and then install all other drivers.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Elizabeth23, Mar 8, 2016
  7. quovadis

Elizabeth23

reply no 2:

if your driver has no setup file then follow instructions below:

To install your new driver follow these steps:

Right click on My Computer, click Properties, Click on the Hardware tab, click on Device Manager, Now find your Network Card, it probably has a big Yellow Exclamation point on it. Right click on it and click Update Driver, Select "Install from a specific Location" and browse to the folder where you unpacked the driver you downloaded. It should have a .INF file in it. Select that file and click ok. Then click next. Windows should then install your driver and all should be well.

Elizabeth23, Mar 8, 2016
  8. quovadis

quovadis

Hi , I am unable to access the link for service pack 3 ? it times out , is there another link I can try ? Kind regards

quovadis, Mar 10, 2016
  9. quovadis

Elizabeth23

http://www.computing.net/howtos/sho...ervice-pack-3-sp3-after-april-8-2014/916.html

it is a direct link in the above page
    ===========

first link on that page is to microsoft download center which only carries the embedded service pack three

==================

second link:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080101...2ce3edf42d/WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

leads to calendar, choose July 25, 2008, click on it and gives a direct link (which means a new tab will open and download box will appear)

======================

third link is the one I gave you and is simply a direct link, do not know why it times out for you, I can reach it fine.

=============

sp3 is 316MB size.

Elizabeth23, Mar 10, 2016
  10. quovadis

quovadis

Hi Got everything downloaded now and installed ... but still see under other devices
    in device manager

Ethernet controller all with a yellow question mark
    PCI Flash memory 3 times
    video controller with question mark AND a red cross through it
    video controller ( VGA Compatable with a yellow question mark

I do now have internet connection but unable to access windows Update ?

quovadis, Mar 10, 2016
  11. quovadis

Elizabeth23

pci flash memory is: card reader driver, got that from here
    ================

Broadcom LAN Driver -Broadcom 10/100M LAN this is your ethernet controller, listed on the driver download page at acer

NOTE: make sure that you choose xp from drop down list after choosing travelmate 2490

============

http://www.driveridentifier.com/sca...6b2b21f8c7a2/2083532130/PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A6

according to the above site, the video controller is the chipset

look in the details page of the driver in question under device manager and then match the numbers to the page above

===================

when you go to windows update, you go to start, all programs, top of column is windows update, you click on this, then you will be asked to update to microsoft updates say yes, after searching it will want to install 3 or so updates first, then you will have to search again, install only 50 or so at a time or it will bog down pc

after all 200 or so are installed then search again under custom, also check this, go to start, turnoff computer, look on the radio buttons for an icon on the TURN OFF button, some updates need to be installed at shutoff and not restart, this can be lengthy so be patient.

===============

will be on for awhile if you have more questions. :)

12. quovadis

Elizabeth23

reply no 2, what version of IE do you have?? you might need ie8

13. quovadis

quovadis

Ok now followed all the above and now speaking with you via the XP machine using explorer 8 ...thank you ... I looked at the chipset and it looks like these I have a wrong ...I have tried to install new , but it doesnt accept as it thinks this software is already installed ... ? any ideas from here ... I am so close !! regards

quovadis, Mar 11, 2016
  14. quovadis

Elizabeth23

Search by Serial Number or SNID >

Search by Product Model >

Or select my product from a list
    TravelMate 2490

Operating System xp32bit

Need to know the hardware on your system to choose the right drivers? >
    ================

if you notice on the acer support page, the little arrows on the right, these give an additional menu
    you can click on the arrow next to need to know the hardware....and it will give a download for a driver scan for the hardware on your pc, you should do this and it will let you know what you need.

if you need a new chipset, then you will have to uninstall the old one and then reinstall all the drivers.

=============

you did install an offline antivirus before going online did you not??

Elizabeth23, Mar 11, 2016
  15. quovadis

quovadis

chipset

Hi yes used malwarebytes . Tried to uninstall / reinstall software , and although it says its done device manager still shows yellow on these items ... Windows update wont connect via the explorer 8 says it needs updating .and not supported .. I have loaded chrome that works fine for general browsing with Explorer not wanting to very well or if at all ?

I un installed the chipsets then re-installed the software , then un installed closed down and tried again , but each time see the yellow question marks .. The software was downloaded direct to a pen , and also direct to the pc , but still no go ?

any suggestions ?

regards

quovadis, Mar 11, 2016
  16. quovadis

Elizabeth23

[​IMG]

as you can see in the image, top right, is this what you used to connect??

whether connected or not, open internet explorer and click Help and then About Internet Explorer, this will show what IE version you have installed.

do not try to connect to updates or online until we have your drivers all installed.

is it the same drivers as in your earlier reply that still have yellow??

How To Find Drivers For An Unrecognized Device

1. Open Device Manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager)
    2. The hardware whose drivers are missing will appear as Unknown device, so it's easier to locate the device.
    3. Right click on the unknown device and click on Properties.
    4. Under the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down box.
    5. You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_30868086
    &REV_01\4&1E46F438&0&40F0

6. The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 27DC

7. Once you have obtained both the IDs, proceed to

http://pcidatabase.com/

There you can either search for the vendor from the vendor ID or directly get information about the device along with the vendor name by searching with the device ID.

8. Then from there you can go directly to the hardware manufactureres website and get the driver.

once you have identified the drivers you need, if you still need help finding them let me know.

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus, it is a malware scanner, you need to download

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/features/360-total-security-essential/

underneath the download link is the link for the offline installer, and on the right hand side of the page scroll down to a green section and this is the offline database for avira engine and bitdefender engine.

I use both engines and qihoo's engine for my scans.

These are lengthy downloads, :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 11, 2016
  17. quovadis

quovadis

Drivers

For ethernet driver I have: PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_170C&SUBSYS_00901025&REV_02\4&6B16D5B&0&08F0

For Video controller I have
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A6&SUBSYS_00901025&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&11

For Video controller (VGA Compatable ) I have
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A2&SUBSYS_00901025&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&10

I did as you said , looked at these codes , but it showed me two one for Toshiba and one for Broadcom... I felt the Broadcom was more appropriate , but once I found the broadcom site I couldnt actually see the correct coded download so I stopped at this point

I am in the process of downloading the anti virus software ...kind regards

quovadis, Mar 12, 2016
  18. quovadis

quovadis

Explorer

PS : Running version 8

kind regards

quovadis, Mar 12, 2016
  19. quovadis

Elizabeth23

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=D7389B68B3A275AD!2974&cid=D7389B68B3A275AD

new folder at my onedrive:

quovadis

your driver is in here or you can just download the whole folder and it will be downloaded as a .zip folder and you can extract the files.

listed as video

once downloaded, right click, choose properties, then click UNBLOCK and apply to clear this block. (sometimes this block stops install, sometimes not, :) )

==================
    OR: you can download directly from the pcidatabase link:

http://pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=1302

27A6

Intel 945GM Video Driver

14324.exe

http://pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=27A6&device_search=Search

listed as video

==================

your second device listing:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/16835

it is the same size and .exe number as the one above

but you can go to above site and read the disclaimer, that oem manufacturers sometimes add to the driver for their pc's, this occurs with my dell.

drivers from here are generic xp.

=================

ok, so you will have your drivers installed and an antivirus installed, run a quick scan before connecting to internet, and then it will probably want to update its files.

but the first thing you want to do is go to start, allprograms, windows update and get updated to microsoft updates and then scan for updates.

NOTE: if you did not connect to windows update how did you update to IE8??

==============

http://pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=767

for the ethernet controller, when you search this item, you get a toshiba wifi and a broadcam lan, clicking on broadcam (under vendor) takes you to above page and searching for 170c, goes to a broadcam driver but it says it is for win7 you do not want this instead from the acer download page

Lan Broadcom LAN Driver -Broadcom 10/100M LAN

download above 32.4KB

this is your lan driver.

================

keep me updated, please, and if you get any errors or messages, please give EXACT message. thanks.

===============

by the way, I also have ie8 download and all its updates in a public folder on my one drive, :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Elizabeth23, Mar 12, 2016
  20. quovadis

quovadis

Xp Drivers

Sorry , I haven't replied , haven't been well at all so I have just backed off everything for the interim ...thank you for your valued help to date ... it is appreciated ..kind regards

quovadis, Mar 30, 2016
Ask a Question