Wow! What's Happened Here?

Discussion in 'Announcements, Suggestions and Feedback' started by Jody Thornton, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jody Thornton

Jody Thornton

I'd post in "Off-Topic" but any post made there is going to get buried in religion.

It's pretty sad when the only new stuff here is some guy posting about religion over and over again. It feels like tuning in AM radio overnight and there's nothing but Coast to Coast AM or brokered faith programming.

Well, it's just sad that's all.
    :(

Jody Thornton, Feb 17, 2017
    Samir and trimis like this.
  2. Jody Thornton

cornemuse

I didnt want to be the first one to complain, , , , , # 2, , ,

cornemuse, Feb 17, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  3. Jody Thornton

Elizabeth23

I have mentioned this to the administrator, but only as it pertained to threads I am assisting in. :)

EDIT: I have just sent a pm to the administrator, however and this is just my opinion.

1. most of these posts are in the OFF TOPIC forum
    2. I sent this person a PM to please not post in my threads and there have been no more.
    3. Under quick links at top of page, just click on todays posts, and choose which thread you wish to read and you do not have to look at any other. :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Elizabeth23, Feb 17, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  4. Jody Thornton

tienkhoanguyen

Well, I am not perfect. In my own defense, I've had many life experiences that I've been through that made me very religious. Now a days I am glad I say GOD 0 AD here and there! GOD 0 AD always comes through. People who don't believe in GOD 0 AD has accidents and bad happen to them and they regret in their lives. I don't want that to happen to me anymore. It is who I am now.

tienkhoanguyen, Feb 17, 2017
  5. Jody Thornton

cornemuse

The 'Ignore List' works, , , , , after a fashon, , ,

cornemuse, Feb 18, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  6. Jody Thornton

Ian Administrator

Yes, I agree.

Sorry tienkhoanguyen, but this isn't really the place for religious discussion. We're a technical support forum, and I'd like to make sure that we keep the focus on such things. If you'd like to make technical posts, that's great - but please no more religious discussion on here.

Ian, Feb 18, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  7. It's sad that almost no xp users are here, this forum feels kind of dead.

Skeleton11223, Feb 19, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  8. Jody Thornton

Elizabeth23

Hey, Skeleton11223, I take exception to that, :). I check this forum constantly and although there are somethings I cannot help with I do try to help where I can, and I will be using xp until my machine gives up the ghost and I am force to buy another one, :)

Elizabeth23, Feb 19, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  9. By dead, I mean there's not that many users here, the amount of activity is decent,, but hey, it could be worse, look at the vista forums, its much more dead as the OS isn't very popular.

Skeleton11223, Feb 20, 2017
    Samir and Jody Thornton like this.
  10. Jody Thornton

Elizabeth23

this is true, but I am glad that there is a place we can go. :)

Elizabeth23, Feb 20, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  11. Jody Thornton

priscus

Yes. I am surprised given the large number of XP rigs still running that there is not a greater active membership.

priscus, Feb 20, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  12. Jody Thornton

tienkhoanguyen

I'm currently using 10 instead of my vxp right now. And they've been able to make it more streamline in my opinion. But then again I get used to things fast.

tienkhoanguyen, Feb 20, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  13. Jody Thornton

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Hello everybody,

XP Forums to my way of thinking caters to those of us who use XP either as their main OS or who still dabble for the sake of nostalgia or put XP to good use because XP was, and is the groundbreaking OS that opened the net, gaming, and sheer functionality to literally, the world.

Many times I have likened XP to a classic car. In that sense XP is the classic OS of the OS world.

Certainly the number of forum users/members has declined over time, however the process of time and new platforms (OS's) has winnowed the forum membership to those of us who still enjoy XP in whatever fashion suits us.

Long may this forum and membership prevail.

Cheers,

Mark.

Aunty Jack, Mar 3, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  14. Jody Thornton

cornemuse

Lets go people!! Nobodys posting here, what gives??

cornemuse, Mar 5, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  15. Jody Thornton

Elizabeth23

maybe we are the only ones left with xp?? :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 5, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  16. Jody Thornton

priscus

I use XP when it is the best tool for the job: sometimes it is just that.
    (MIDI related stuff)

If I want to repurpose a parallel port (OK, they are getting rare these days), say to use for inputting or outputting user binary data, then I will use DOS. Much easier than later OSs.

For my general purpose needs, I find Linux Mint (Cinnamon) best OS.

Have to admit using W10 a lot, but some annoying frustrations around its behaviour.

priscus, Mar 6, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  17. Jody Thornton

cornemuse

At least some are checking in here!

-c-

(working on a few things to post, , , , , )

cornemuse, Mar 6, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  18. Jody Thornton

Mike_Walsh

I agree with priscus.

It is surprising the lack of members, given the fact that there's still a decent number of XP machines out there.....but I have a nasty feeling that many of these are now sitting in cupboards, or at the back of shelves, beginning to gather dust (along with their memories...)

I also suspect, given the recent upsurge in membership we've enjoyed on the Puppy Forums, that many people are simply beginning to re-purpose their old XP hardware. Much of it still has plenty of life left in it; gear that was built 10-15 years ago was definitely more solidly-built than the 'disposable' crap that's flooding the marketplace now. ('Bendy' iPhones, anyone? :D)

My old Dell lappie (an original 1100 from 2002, which started out life with the then new Windows XP) has for the last couple of years been running Puppy. After an extended period of careful upgrading, including fitting an SSD amongst other things, I have a machine which will give many Windows machines a good run for their money.

I come on here for two main reasons; one, for nostalgia's sake, and two, because I know many people still running XP are running older hardware, and can't always afford to buy newer stuff. Hopefully, recommending giving Puppy a test run won't offend too many of you...and I know at least one of the senior members here has been using Pup for a while as it is.

I hope I'm not upsetting Ian too much. I've always run my machines on a tight budget for many years, and I do what I can to help others to keep older, but still useful, hardware running!

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Mike_Walsh, Mar 12, 2017
    Samir and Jody Thornton like this.
  19. Jody Thornton

Jody Thornton

I agree this is a good reason to use this forum. I no longer believe that XP or anything related to it should viewed as something with a purposeful future. Everything on here should be about "How do I get off Windows XP, and repupose my old but useful hardware for something else?"

And Puppy Linux is an excellent option. It is a great general purpose OS.

Jody Thornton, Mar 13, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  20. Jody Thornton

Jody Thornton

Haaaa I said "repupose" ... which could have been taken as a pun for Puppy ...lol (but in truth, I only made a spelling error.)

Jody Thornton, Mar 13, 2017
    Samir likes this.
Ask a Question