Eatup's Experiment Going Mobile

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by eatup, Aug 12, 2016.

1. eatup

eatup

People wanting to boot Linux from their micro SD on their Surface Pro (basically the same as me wanting to boot Windows 8.1 from uSD slot on my Win10 tablet; will confirm later if it works or not when my uSD card arrives):

(BTW, anyone following this thread, a word of caution: Don't do anything to overwrite your tablet's Win10 bootloader. How I will get Win 8.1 onto my tablet is to install it on my laptop by native booting via a vhd, sysprep that vhd image, transfer the vhd file to a uSD card, add a boot option to it on the tablet by using bcdedit to edit Win10's bootloader...)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    eatup, Sep 2, 2016
  2. eatup

eatup

Newer tablets are shipping with micro USB Type-C port, which can handle more amperage than the old USB standard (a lot of tablets with older specs will drain the battery if you use it when plugged in b/c the old USB could only trickle charge incapable of providing sufficient power to a tablet that's on).

eatup, Sep 3, 2016
  3. eatup

eatup

Microsoft looking to bring Windows 10 to ARM processors (not the RT version but full-fledged Windows). It means plenty of cheap Chinese ARM devices capable of running Win32 apps!

Option 1:

$100 - year 1 (pay utilities this amount to power a laptop/notebook for 1 yr)
    $100 - year 2

Option 2:

$100 - cost of cheap but good specced tablet with dual Windows/Android OS boot
    $25 - year 1 (cost to charge tablet daily plus use laptop/notebook on weekends for 1 yr)
    $25 - year 2
    $50 - Save this amount in 2 years vs Option 1...

eatup, Dec 19, 2016
  4. eatup

eatup

Confirmed, tablet, albeit with cheap Atom CPU, is more powerful than my beater Dell laptop. How? It can play 3D SBS video to anaglyph fluidly in real time. Laptop manages a measly 5 fps doing the same task.

eatup, Jan 24, 2017
Ask a Question