Weird Things With New/Old XP-Pro Install

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by cornemuse, Nov 12, 2016.

1. cornemuse

cornemuse

A year ago I set up a 'new' computer & installed XPP. A new Gigabyte mobo, but it will only allow XP 32 bit os and I wanted it for 64 bit. I took the apu-cpu out & installed it in another board (asus) that still allows 64 bit XP. Yesterday, I returned the cpu to the original board, & it powered up ok. However, when(ever) I opened a box with options (R-click on desktop, select properties for instance), click on anything: save as-delete-cancel-ok, each box starts flashing like 'hi-speed tabbing & nothing happens, only thing that works is upper right 'X' closes the box. I dont want to reinstall xp as I would have to find the install disk, copy some files to a floppy, find my usb floppy drive, etc, etc. Its a really fast-high powered mobo & with an AMD 'Trinity' apu. It has been just sitting there (dust free) for a year or so, only change is a different power supply.

Any ideas??

-corne-

cornemuse, Nov 12, 2016
  2. cornemuse

Elizabeth23

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

you could try the .exe fix for file associations from the above link, or you could run checkdisk with the /r parameter and see if that will correct the file corruptions, if you find a certain file has been corrupted I can upload it to my one drive for you to download and install.

Elizabeth23, Nov 12, 2016
Ask a Question