Multiple Copies of XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by GeorgeLawshe, Oct 21, 2016.

1. GeorgeLawshe

GeorgeLawshe

I reinstalled XP on my desktop and then every time I turned on the computer, I had a choice of two XP OS to choose from.
    Someone suggested that I re-install XP again, so I did. Now I have three choices each time I boot up.

How can I eliminate two of these?

Thanks

George

GeorgeLawshe, Oct 21, 2016
  2. GeorgeLawshe

Elizabeth23

you are not reinstalling properly, when you install you are given the choice of partitions, you must delete the partitions and then install xp.

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/two-copies-of-xp-on-system-how-to-remove-240192/

above thread shows how if the first xp install is the correct one:

above is a bootloader for single install of xp.

what does your bootloader look like??

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000647.htm

read above on the proper way to reinstall xp by going into the bios and setting the cdrom as the boot choice vs the harddrive and going from there.

you have performed parallel installs not clean installs/

Elizabeth23, Oct 21, 2016
  3. GeorgeLawshe

GeorgeLawshe

Two XP programs

Thanks for the help. I had trouble finding the boot.ini file. I made sure all files would show and when I did a search, it did not show the boot.ini file However, I finally looked in the files in C drive and there it was. Still do not understand why it did not show in the search.
    But it fixed my problem, THANKS!!

GeorgeLawshe, Oct 23, 2016
  4. GeorgeLawshe

Elizabeth23

great, when you have hidden files shown you must also have system files shown.

[​IMG]

if you look at the picture, there is a checkmark in the Hide protected operating system files, always uncheck this also when doing a search.

Elizabeth23, Oct 23, 2016
Ask a Question