MS has discontinued security definitions for XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by eatup, Apr 19, 2016.

1. eatup

Jody Thornton

2. eatup

eatup

Lol. I did absolutely nothing and MSE automatically updated to April 23. Looks like business is back to usual for MSE definitions on XP. Even the 'mpam-fe.exe' u could download manually works by clicking it w/o needing WinRAR to extract the files archived within it.

Bottom line is thousands of US Navy computers still run XP. They paid MS several millions last summer to keep it updated. Stunts like this most recent one involving MSE definitions are not going to impress organizations like the US Navy which of course would rather use Microsoft's own homebrew security client...

eatup, Apr 24, 2016
  3. eatup

eatup

Just a little aside, I thought MS's activities on April 23 was a little weird. After booting up 3 different OSes on my machine, I'm seeing three different MSE definitions created on April 23rd (not the time of update download/install, but time of creation of those updates on MS's end). I'm seeing MS has updated MSE definitions in the AM, afternoon, and PM on the same day. Very unusual for MS to be updating definition packages 3 times in one day!

eatup, Apr 24, 2016
  4. eatup

Jody Thornton

They used to do this eatup. Back when I ran XP x64 (2011-2014), I remember running MSE updates manually on login, and I would get two updates between 11 am and say 3 pm. I never knew that ceased to be the case.
    :)

Jody Thornton, Apr 25, 2016
  5. eatup

WindowsXPforever

I have the posready 2009 trick enabled so i get the definitions normaly :) :)

WindowsXPforever, Dec 17, 2018
Ask a Question