Windows XP 64-bit antivirus?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Logo897, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Logo897

Logo897

Hello all,

I have just installed a 64-bit copy of windows XP yesterday so I can work on a project called BOINC. I like XP because the projects do complete faster due to having no WDDM overhead like vista, 7, 8, and 10 have. I could go into much more detail but want to get into the main question:

I've tried different antiviruses on my machine, however they are mostly for 32-bit machines and not my 64-bit copy of XP.

Are there any antiviruses that support windows xp? I'm okay with any, as my machine is a higher end one with 12gb of ram DDR3 and a first gen core i5, so if there's a demanding one I will take the risk of it using extra resources. Thank you.

Logo897, Oct 18, 2016
  2. According to the avast FAQ it works on xp 64 bit try it out

Skeleton11223, Oct 18, 2016
  3. Logo897

Logo897

Hello,

I tried installing it and nothing happens as soon as I open the EXE file.

Logo897, Oct 18, 2016
  4. Logo897

Jody Thornton

If you can download the 64-bit Vista/7 installation file for MSE (use v4.304.4) I hope I have that right. That version installs and updates, and it detects infections.

Jody Thornton, Oct 18, 2016
  5. Logo897

Elizabeth23

from here

I use this for my xp, but I have 32bit, you can test it but below shows someone who tested it and it did not work. :)

above from a member of this forum , cornemuse.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Elizabeth23, Oct 18, 2016
  6. Logo897

Logo897

I have done some more searching around as well as following your suggestions and nothing works. I am sad to say that pretty much everything I see is for XP 32-bit.

Logo897, Oct 18, 2016
  7. Logo897

Elizabeth23

@Logo897, you do realize that a 32bit program will run on 64 bit, but not viceversa. :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 19, 2016
  8. Logo897

Elizabeth23

9. Logo897

Elizabeth23

well now we have a definitive answer, I had sent them an email asking about their support. :(

10. Logo897

19jmsr56

Elizabeth23 dear, I run under Win XP Pro x64 Edition. AV is enough, for example. AVAST.
    Better is a freeware COMODO Cloud Antivirus, which also controls web. If you want the Firewall and Comodo Internet Security, also free. Sorry about translation is through Google translate, I am from Slovakia (Tatra, Sagan, etc.).

19jmsr56, Nov 30, 2016
  11. Logo897

tienkhoanguyen

In addition to some form of antivirus antimalware etc I would suggest sticking to only your most trusted friends. I only surf a handful of places. xpforums rfobasicforums abandonia google yahoomail hotmail and gmail. so the changes of me getting infected are minimal.

tienkhoanguyen, Nov 30, 2016
  12. Logo897

tienkhoanguyen

Answer 2:

I've looked up ESET and it shows a relatively low infection rate compared to others. It is not free and leads to:

Answer 3:

I do not use any and just by sticking to the most trusted ones I do not have any major infections. The worst problems I had was the dvd drive and cd drive locked up and I had to use the flash drive to transfer all the files out for a backup. Everything else was a surprise since I found Microsoft continues to upgrade their systems; For instance once I needed windows xp native DOS functionality and my vista actually had it installed since I had been developing for a while but I do not know. You see xp works with my DOS programs however I have to tailor it to the xp system. The only problem with xp is it is easily hackable and tends to be vulnerable when the internet is exposed without a antivirus etc. vista does not have that problem so far. I guess not many people use vista these days but i am glad i continue to have my product key so i can reinstall in just an emergency.

tienkhoanguyen, Nov 30, 2016
  13. Logo897

Joe511

360 Total Security. Its free and still supports XP. If not McAfee. It costs but it amazing. I use the top of the range version (Livesafe) on my XP laptop and ive never had a virus. Also run Malwarebytes because it supports XP and it finds threats that anti-virus dosent.

Joe511, Dec 14, 2016
  14. Logo897

tienkhoanguyen

thank you

tienkhoanguyen, Jan 14, 2017
  15. Logo897

tienkhoanguyen

I'm using 360 total security for xp. it's cool that it downloads the xp patches after it scans the viruses. There's like initially over 100 patches for xp. So I guess that's getting safer. Never seen that option before.

tienkhoanguyen, Jan 14, 2017
  16. Logo897

tienkhoanguyen

God, Jesus Christ, is always undefeated!

I am grateful to my real mom Vu Thi Thuyen Huong for getting me Norton antivirus. It has been protecting my computer like forever. I am grateful to my real dad Nguyen Binh Thuy for putting me through school for programming. I know how a virus works and it is not that hard to detect. The program comes from new softwares that infect your computer with a Trojan. Just think that an innocent software enters your system. It carries within it a small routine. Such routine could be a virus that could be written into the system. Every time you boot your computer up it loads that small program that has been installed. So what happens is you could ...

My real sister Nguyen Khoa Thi is a programmer and is degreed. She has been in business for a while. So it takes a lot of effort to know all this and someone has to be messing around with their life to have the time to do something like this and actually risk their reputation.

My other real sister Nguyen Khoa Thuyen tells me don't be mean!!!

Last of all I am grateful that God is always there for my mom and she reaches God before it is too late!!!!!!!!!!!! From now on God is King of all in my humble opinion. A little off topic however The Original Jesus Christ is GOD in the form of a person#!!

I'm nobody special however I praise God from now on for all I have from him (The Original Jesus Christ)...

Amen.

tienkhoanguyen, Jan 27, 2017
  17. Logo897

EthanStark

Support for 64-bit Windows

The new avast! 4.5 Home/Professional now fully supports the 64-bit Windows platform (avast! Server Edition has been supporting Win64 (both AMD64 and IA64) platforms since version 4.1). ALWIL Software is anticipating a massive take-up of this platform as Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will support up to 32 GB of RAM and 16 TB of virtual memory, enabling applications to run faster when working with large data sets. Applications can preload substantially more data into virtual memory, allowing rapid access by the 64-bit extensions of the processor. This reduces the time for loading data into virtual memory or seeking, reading, and writing to data storage devices, making applications run faster and more efficiently.

Regular (32-bit) antivirus applications are unable to operate correctly on the 64-bit Windows platform because they rely on 32-bit kernel-mode drivers. The new avast! uses native 64-bit drivers, delivering the same level of protection as in the 32-bit Windows environments. The installation package is the same for 32-bit and 64-bit versions - the setup program automatically detects the operating system it is running on and installs all necessary files.

Ethan Stark

EthanStark, Jun 19, 2017
Ask a Question